The Regal Fordingbridge

15 AUGUST 2016

This small town cinema closed circa 1965 but looks set to show films again thanks to a local firm's intention to redevelop it to include small studio flats for its staff as well as a modern thirty seat cinema which will be open to the public.

Permission has been granted by Fordingbridge Town Council and New Forest District Council for the redevelopment. When the cinema opened in 1934 it had just under 300 seats and was the result of plans drawn up by Bristol architect E.H. Greenwood for the owner Walter Haggar. The plans radically altered an existing picture house on the site and included a new frontage which is shown in the picture.

Projection equipment at the Regal was by British Thompson-Houston of Rugby as were the installations at the other cinemas run by Constellation Pictures, the Plaza Lyndhurst and the Palace at Hale in Cornwall.